Saturday’s Something for March 29, 2014
Haaaaaaappppy Saturday! Hey you guys, welcome to this week’s edition of Saturday’s Something, my time to share a glimpse into my life outside of the kitchen!
The last few weeks have been busy, busy, busy! There was of course another round of chemo for Ryan, our 20 week ultrasound to see if we’re having a boy or girl, AND to round it all off, Miss Mali, one of our two dogs had surgery to have a cyst removed.
Here’s the deets…
- Chemo #4 – DONE! As of Thursday, Ryan is done with his fourth round of chemo. That means he’s 1/3 of the way done with 8 more to go! Generally speaking, he’s doing well all things considered. We know what to expect now, which helps. He loses his appetite which makes things tricky but for some reason, tacos always sound good so I try to find different ways to prepare them. This time around we did these Taco Flatbread Pizzas – so yummy!
- Baby, baby, baby! Our 20 week Ultrasound was on Thursday, so we got to see what we’re having! I want to spill the beans so bad, BUT we are having a gender reveal party that isn’t until next weekend. Since Ryan had chemo this week, we knew he wouldn’t be feeling good this weekend, so the party has to wait. This means I have to keep my mouth CLOSED. It’s harder than I thought! I’ll share the news with you guys, along with pics from the party in about a week!
- I’ve talked about Mali before. Her and her sister Lila are our sweet little dogs that we just adore! Mali (pronounced like Molly) had to have surgery to have a cyst removed. Poor thing. When we got in the car the morning of her surgery, she knew we were going to the vet and started shaking. She’s so smart. Lila cried the entire time Mali was gone, it was so sad! Mali is doing good though, and her sutures come out on Monday! I’m wondering if boy dogs get pretty pink sutures too?
- This past year for Christmas, Ryan and I were going to splurge and instead of gifts for each other, we bought tickets for one of the highest rated restaurants in the WORLD – Alinea, right here in Chicago. You have to buy tickets WAY in advance, and they are non-refundable. It’s one of those once-in-a-lifetime things we were going to do and we were SO excited! The tickets are the cost of the dinner, so if you can’t go, you’re out a lot of money. Well…. guess what happened 4 days before our reservation? Cancer. Boo! Generally you have to find a buyer for your own tickets, but the folks at Alinea were super kind after I explained what was going on, and found buyers for us so that we weren’t out $600+.
Anyhow… I finally decided I’d buy myself a little Christmas present since we won’t be able to go to Alinea anytime soon (Ryan’s appetite during chemo is too unpredictable!). What did I buy, you ask? Tieks, of course! I had been eyeing Tieks for a couple of months now, but I just could not bring myself to spend that kind of money on a pair of shoes, especially knowing there are hospital bills to be paid. The $15 sandals on the clearance rack at Target are what I’m used to buying. But… I kinda wanted to buy something for myself and had some gift money to spend, so against my better judgement I closed my eyes, started hyperventilating at the thought of buying a $175 pair of shoes, and clicked “purchase.”
Look at the adorable box they come in! And inside was a hand-written thank-you note. SUCH a nice touch! I wanted the Lilac ones, but I went with chestnut so that I can wear them with more outfits and get my money’s worth out of ‘em. :) Would I buy them all over again? Yes. They are comfortable and I love them! I probably won’t ever buy another $175 pair of shoes in my life again, so I’m going to enjoy these and hope they last me forever and ever!
- Confession: I am addicted to Reese’s Eggs. Why do they always seem to taste better than Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups? Is it the ratio of more peanut butter filling to chocolate? I don’t know what it is, but I made a b-line for these at Target when I saw they had their Easter candy out.
- We are getting ready to go do a baby registry. If any of you have any suggestions for must-have baby items, or those I should leave off, let me know in the comments below! There are SO many options and it is so intimidating and difficult to know what we will actually use.
That’s all for this week! How’s your week going? I’ll be sure to share our gender reveal results soon after our party. Have a great week! :)