Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches – dinner doesn’t get much easier than this! Tender chicken, peppers and onions get piled on soft hoagie rolls, then topped with lots of melty cheese. These Chicken Cheesesteaks are easy to make any night of the week!
Slow Cooker recipes are the best, aren’t they? Especially when you can just toss everything into the crock pot, walk away, and hours later come back to the most delicious dinner ever! These Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches couldn’t be easier to make. Chicken, peppers and onions get tossed in the slow cooker and then hours later you’ve got a tender mixture to pile high on hoagie rolls with lots of melty cheese.
As far as cheese goes, I like to use White American cheese, just because it tends to melt the best. You could also use provolone, or even swiss cheese if that sounds good to you. Once you pile the tender chicken, peppers and onions onto a hoagie roll, you’ll top it with cheese and either broil or bake the sandwiches. If you like your sandwich toasty, broil it. If you like your sandwich more on the softer side, wrap each sandwich individually in foil and bake them for about 8 minutes to melt the cheese. I tend to like my sandwiches on the softer side, so I usually bake them.
I haven’t attempted to make a more traditional Philly Cheesesteak in the crockpot, but I do have an awesome recipes for Philly Cheesesteaks made on the stovetop. That recipe can be found here (it’s gotten rave reviews!).
If you are looking for a quick and easy dinner idea that you can make in the crock pot, give these Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches a try. You can’t go wrong with tender chicken, peppers, and onions piled high on a hoagie roll with lots of melty cheese. I like to serve these sandwiches with fresh fruit or a salad to keep things extra simple and easy. Enjoy!
- 2 green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Hoagie rolls
- White American, Provolone, or Swiss Cheese Slices
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange onion and pepper slices in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour 1/2 cup chicken broth into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours or 3-4 hours on high, until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and cut into pieces or shred with two forks.
- Heat your broiler to high if you wanted a toasted sandwich OR heat your oven to 425 if you’d like a softer sandwich..
- Remove the peppers and onions from the slow cooker (a slotted spoon works best)
- Pour out remaining liquid, reserving about 1/2 cup of it.
- Return the chicken, peppers and onions back to the slow cooker. Add in a little bit of broth, if needed, to keep the meat mixture moist.
- Place some of the meat mixture on each of the buns. Top with cheese slices and broil for a few minutes until the cheese has melted and the rolls are toasty OR if you’d like your sandwich on the softer side, wrap each sandwich individually with foil and bake in a 425 degree oven for about 8 minutes to melt the cheese and warm the bun.