All of the tips and tricks you need to host a sub sandwich party including ideas of what goes with sub sandwiches! Sub sandwiches are the best for feeding a crowd at a party for the Big Game!
This post has been sponsored by Tyson Foods Inc. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
It has never been easier to up your game for the Big Game with the help of Sara Lee® Premium Meats and our guide for hosting the ultimate sub sandwich bar! All of the sub sandwich recipes and ideas we will be sharing with you today come together easily, yet the presentation is impressive. Your family and friends will love it and the sandwiches will be enjoyed by all from the kids to the adults (because who doesn’t love a good sandwich?).
When it comes to parties for the big game, often times more people are there for the food than the football! And that’s why I like to make sure there are tasty options for everyone. My favorite way to please a crowd is to host a make-your-own sub sandwich party with a variety of fresh ingredients displayed charcuterie/snack board style.
With any sub sandwich party, it’s important to start with quality ingredients. Here are a few essential ingredients that you will want to add to your grocery list.
- Sara Lee® Premium Meats.You can get them sliced-to-order at your grocer’s deli counter AND freshly sliced, ready to grab and go in the deli cooler. Sara Lee® Premium Meats is always my go-to brand because I can count on the meats being fresh and delicious every time.
- A variety of breads: sub rolls, mini sub rolls, ciabatta rolls, brioche buns, French bread
- Cheese: American, Provolone, Colby-Jack, Swiss, Havarti
- Veggies: lettuce, tomato, spinach, onion, banana peppers, avocado
- Spreads: mayo, mustard, dijonaise, chipotle mayo, oil, vinegar
How much deli meat per person?
If you are wondering how much Sara Lee® Premium Meats you should purchase, plan for about 2-3 ounces of meat per sandwich which means you’ll need just under two pounds of deli meat for 10 sandwiches, and just under 4 pounds of meat for 20 sandwiches.
*Pro tip: Ask for the meat to be sliced thinly. Thinly sliced meats will go a bit further than meat that is cut thicker.
Once you are stocked up on fresh ingredients, you will want to think about the presentation. Try using a combination of cutting boards and trays to arrange the ingredients and a large basket to display all of the bread options. Get creative and use whatever you have on hand!
Another fun idea is to offer your guests some suggested sandwich combinations that they should try. Today I’ll be sharing three different sandwich ideas for the Big Game that your guests will love, with names inspired by football. I like to arrange the ingredients for each sandwich on a tray or a snack board, charcuterie style as shown. Not only does it look beautiful to display the ingredients this way, it also serves a functional purpose so that guests can easily see what ingredients to add to their sandwich.
The Big Game Sub Sandwich Menu:
“The Victory”: The Victory includes Sara Lee® Angus Medium Roast Beef, sautéed mushrooms, peppers and onions, chipotle mayo, and provolone cheese.
“The Pig Skin” (a beloved nickname for the football that fans have used for decades): The Pig Skin includes Sara Lee® Honey Ham, bacon, Swiss cheese, bbq sauce & cole slaw.
“The Touchdown”: The Touchdown includes Sara Lee® Honey Roasted Turkey Breast, Sara Lee® Honey Ham, Sara Lee® Angus Medium Roast Beef, dijonaise, greens, and Colby-jack cheese.
It is so fun to have these sandwich options for guests to make, along with a board or tray filled with a variety of ingredients so that guests can get creative and come up with their own sub sandwich combinations if they wish. Customized sandwiches make everyone happy.
What sides go with sub sandwiches for a party?
There are many side dishes that pair perfectly with sub sandwiches. I like to have a variety of cold salads on hand including pasta salad, potato salad and cole slaw. I also like to have some crunchy options including chips and pretzels and a variety of dips to accompany them. A fruit and/or veggie tray is another simple crowd pleaser as well.
There’s no doubt that your Big Game sub sandwich party is going to be extra special with Sara Lee® Premium Meats, cheeses, veggies and a variety of breads to make everyone happy and feeling satisfied. And the best part is that you will not be spending hours cooking in the kitchen!
Now that you have all of our tips and tricks for hosting a sub sandwich bar, I encourage you to click over to Sara Lee® Deli.com for lots of new and delicious winning game day recipes, how-to videos, creative meals, on-going tips, entertaining ideas, lifestyle/meal hacks & more!
Happy game day! Enjoy!
THE VICTORY INGREDIENTS
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into thinly sliced half moons
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sara Lee® Angus Medium Roast Beef (2-3 ounces of meat per sandwich)
- Chipotle mayonnaise
- Provolone cheese (1-2 slices per sandwich)
- Bread or sub rolls of choice
THE PIG SKIN INGREDIENTS
- Sara Lee® Honey Ham
- Bacon, cooked
- Swiss cheese
- BBQ sauce
- Cole slaw
THE TOUCHDOWN INGREDIENTS
- Sara Lee® Honey Roasted Turkey Breast
- Sara Lee® Honey Ham
- Sara Lee® Angus Roast Beef
- Dijonaise (a combination of equal parts mayonnaise and dijon mustard)
- Colby-jack cheese
THE VICTORY DIRECTIONS
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add olive oil. When hot, add in green and red pepper strips, yellow onion and button mushrooms.
- Sauté for 8-10 minutes, or until the veggies are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a layer of chipotle mayonnaise on the bread or sub roll of choice.
- Begin adding ingredients starting with Provolone cheese on the bottom, then Sara Lee® Angus Medium Roast Beef.
- Top with sautéed peppers, mushrooms and onions.
THE PIG SKIN DIRECTIONS
- Start with bread or sub roll of choice.
- Spread a thin layer of BBQ sauce on the bread.
- Add Sara Lee® Honey Ham to the bottom piece of bread.
- Top with bacon, Swiss cheese, and coleslaw.
THE TOUCHDOWN DIRECTIONS
- Start with bread or sub roll of choice.
- Spread a thin layer of dijonaise on the bread.
- Add greens or leaf lettuce to the bottom piece of bread.
- Top with Sara Lee® Honey Roasted Turkey Breast, Honey Ham, and Angus Roast Beef.
- Add Colby-jack cheese.