This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sloppy Joe sandwiches are a quick and simple supper that I’ve been eating since my childhood. While there’s nothing fancy about ’em, it’s a classic recipe that I turn to any time I’ve got ground beef I want to use up, or when I need a quick, reliable meal.
Instead of making my go-to classic version of Sloppy Joes this week, I decided to put a little twist on the sandwich and create Cheesy Mexican Sloppy Joes! It turned out to be a tasty variation, and took no longer to make than the classic! The recipe, as written, serves 4. Feel free to double the ingredients if you’re feeding more than that! This recipe for Cheesy Mexican Sloppy Joes is a keeper!
To get this recipe going, you’ll need 1 poblano pepper, diced. If you’ve never cooked with poblanos before, no worries, it’s actually a very mild pepper. Along with the diced poblano, you’ll need about 1/2 of a small purple onion, diced, 3 cloves of garlic, minced, and 1 cup of shredded monterrey jack cheese. For the sauce, I used 1 cup red enchilada sauce. Don’t forget the buns!
Start by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, and sauté the onion and poblano pepper for several minutes, until they start to become tender. Add in the garlic, and cook for a few minutes longer. Remove this mixture from the pan and set aside. To the pan add in 1 pound ground beef. You could also use ground turkey if you’d like. When the meat is browned, drain any excess fat. Return the veggies to the pan.
Stir in 1 cup red enchilada sauce, and bring this meat/sauce mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. While the meat mixture is simmering away, grate about 1 cup of monterrey jack cheese! Divide the meat mixture between four sandwiches. Top each sandwich with 1/4 cup monterrey jack cheese. Place in a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the buns are just starting to toast.
That’s all there is to it! This is a very mild sandwich that the whole family will love!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1/2 of a purple onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup monterrey jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and peppers until they are almost tender. Add in the garlic and cook for a minute or two longer. Remove the peppers, onions, and garlic from the pan and set aside.
- To the pan, add in 1 pound ground beef. Break into pieces as it cooks. When the meat is fully cooked, drain any excess fat. Add the cooked onions, peppers, and garlic back in.
- Add in 1 cup red enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the meat mixture evenly among 4 buns. Top each sandwich with 1/4 cup shredded monterrey jack cheese. Arrange the sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is starting to toast.