This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cheesy Turkey Noodle Casserole is an excellent way to use leftover turkey (but equally delicious with chicken) and is made without cream soup. The ingredients list is simple and the creamy delicious sauce and the fact that it’s simple to make and delicious is a winning combination.
What is the appropriate reaction to the fact that ready or not, the holidays are here? Is it a big smile because this is your favorite time of year? Is it a sigh because sometimes the holidays can be a wee bit stressful? I’m here to give you a big high five and tell you not to stress because one thing you will not have to worry about is getting a delicious, easy holiday recipe on the table for your family that the kids will love. This cheesy turkey noodle casserole without cream soup is always a hit!
This is the time of year that it’s quite common to have leftover turkey on hand. In our family, we usually make a turkey far bigger than what we need on Thanksgiving so that everyone can leave with leftovers. This recipe for Cheesy Turkey Noodle Casserole makes perfect use of all of that leftover turkey. Even better is that it is equally good with chicken so that it can be made year round.
How to make Turkey Noodle Casserole
- cook the noodles – follow the package directions with the exception that you’ll drain the noodles about 2 minutes sooner than suggested. This is because the egg noodles continue to cook as the casserole bakes in the oven.
- make the sauce – the sauce comes together quickly with chicken broth, milk, a little bit of sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- season – salt + pepper + garlic powder + thyme
- assemble the casserole – combine noodles, cooked turkey (or chicken), and sauce. Top with cheese.
- bake – 30 minutes or until bubbly!
Use leftover thanksgiving turkey!
This cheesy turkey noodle casserole is the perfect way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey! If you don’t have leftover turkey on hand, another great protein option is rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Cheesy Turkey Noodle Casserole is absolutely adored by my little guy and he even loves the leftovers for lunch throughout the week. The ingredients are simple. There’s no canned soup found in this recipe! No siree! It’s amazing what kind of homemade delicious sauce can be made with the simple combination of broth, milk, sour cream and cheese.
This simple, yet delicious casserole will be enjoyed by all this season. Happy Holidays!
Cheesy Turkey Noodle Casserole
- 12-16 oz egg noodles, cooked for two minutes less than package directions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (2% or whole)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups turkey (pre-cooked, chopped)
- parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Begin by cooking the egg noodles for about 2 minutes less than package directions. They will continue to cook in the oven. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Saute’ onions, celery and carrots until tender. About 7-10 minutes.
- Season vegetables with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and thyme.
- Sprinkle six tablespoons flour over the cooked vegetables, stir to combine and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in 3 cups chicken broth and 1 cup milk.
- Simmer over medium heat until the mixture is bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and half of the shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 and 1/2 cups) and stir until well combined.
- Combine cooked chopped turkey (or chicken), cooked noodles, and vegetable/sauce.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch casserole pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is bubbly.