Spicy chicken, charred vegetables, gooey cheese and cool avocado. You need this for lunch!
Sometimes the only thing that will hit the spot is a crispy, gooey, grilled cheese sandwich.
Simple toast and cheese is amazing, but have you tried dressing it up?
I love thinly sliced steak with red onion. Good old tuna-mayo with crunchy chopped veg is fab too (and a firm favorite with the kids).
Just lately though, I’ve been slightly obsessed with avocado. This led me to a whole range of Mexican inspired meals, and I decided to test out some of those Mexican flavors with the classic grilled cheese.
Spicy chicken, charred vegetables, gooey cheese and cool avocado. A total winner!
Serve it with some sriracha, or maybe some sour cream if you don’t like it too hot. In fact with an over-the-top sandwich like this, I’d go with both!
- 3 slices thick-cut bread
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (packed) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup (packed) shredded Mexican cheddar cheese
- 1 chicken breast fillet, sliced
- 1 tbsp fajita spice blend
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/3 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/3 small brown onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 Avocado, chopped into chunks
- Sriracha to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400f and heat a lightly-oiled cast-iron griddle pan on the stove.
- Take the 3 slices of bread and brush both sides with the melted butter. Place on the griddle and for 1-2 minutes each side until the bread is lightly toasted and griddle marks appear. Take off the griddle and place two of the slices on a baking tray. Divide the cheese between the two slices and put to one side.
- In a small bowl, mix the sliced chicken, fajita spice and 1 tbsp of the oil. Place the chicken on the hot griddle in a single layer. Cook for 4-5 minutes until charred and no longer pink in the middle.
- Meanwhile, mix the peppers and onion with the remaining 1/2 tbsp of oil and place on the griddle too (in a single layer). Cook for 4-5 minutes until lightly charred.
- Place the bread with the cheese in the pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes to melt. Put the plain piece of toast in the oven for the last 30 seconds to heat through.
- Now it’s time to put everything together. Place one of the cheese-covered pieces of toast on the bottom, top with half the chicken, peppers, onion and avocado. Repeat the layers, then top with the final piece of toast.
- Serve with a drizzle of sriracha.