This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Salads are an essential part of summer because they are quick, easy, and require minimal to no cooking. Plus, they are the perfect way to make good use of garden fresh vegetables. This Ultimate Summer Salad is full of healthy, colorful goodness, made with a base of kale, spinach, and romaine lettuce. On top you’ll find shredded purple cabbage, fresh cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, chopped bacon,and Sargento® Chef Blends™ 4 State Cheddar. In place of croutons, I heated a little bit of olive oil in a pan and sautéed some oyster crackers and seasoned them with black pepper. Not your typical salad topping, but turned out to be perfect for this salad.
One of the most important elements to a good salad is the dressing. For this particular salad, I decided to try a homemade honey mustard that I just loved. It comes together quickly, and is made with equal parts honey, dijon mustard, plus a little bit of lemon juice and mayo. Easy peasy.
This month Sargento is hosting the third phase of their “Chopped at Home” contest (enter here!) where people like YOU are able to cook at home using Sargento cheese and enter to win $10,000. The required ingredients for this particular round include: Sargento® Chef Blends™ 4 State Cheddar, Kale, Oyster Cracker, and Bacon. This contest is such a fun way for you to get creative in the kitchen. I really love this summer salad because it’s light and healthy, but I can think of so many other fun ways to incorporate the required ingredients.
So, to recap. First, go make yourself this Ultimate Summer Salad. You won’t be disappointed, promise. Secondly, have a little fun this summer and submit your very own recipe to the Choped at Home Challenge presented by Sargento. You’ll need to come up with a recipe that includes Sargento® Chef Blends™ 4 State Cheddar, Kale, Oyster Crackers, and Bacon.
To enter, click here.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.
- 1/2 cup Kale
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup romaine lettuce
- 1 ounce Sargento® Chef Blends™ 4 State Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 1 slice of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- Cucumbers, thinly sliced
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Handful of oyster crackers sautéed in a bit of olive oil (just a drizzle or two), and seasoned with black pepper
- 1/4 cup dijon style mustard
- 1/4 cup all-natural honey
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Make the dressing: whisk together 1/4 cup dijon style mustard, 1/4 cup all natural honey, 1 tablespoon mayo, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Set aside and use as much or as little as you’d like on this salad. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Toast the oyster crackers: Heat a small amount of olive oil in a small skillet (just a drizzle or two). When warm, add in crackers and sauté’ for about three minutes, seasoning the crackers with black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the kale, spinach, and romaine lettuce on the bottom.
- Top with Sargento® Chef Blends™ 4 State Cheddar, carrots, bacon, cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, and oyster crackers.
- Drizzle the salad with homemade honey mustard dressing – use as much or as little as you’d like, making sure to store leftover salad dressing in the refrigerator.
Available in 30 versatile varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts, Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese. For more inspiration, visit Sargento.com for more information. The Chopped at Home Challenge gives viewers a chance to create their best recipe using the selected basket ingredients, including Sargento Shredded Cheese, for a chance to win $10,000!