Cheesy Tortellini Bake with lots of cheese, ham, broccoli and a crunchy topping, baked until golden brown and delicious!
This Cheesy Tortellini Bake is one of those recipes that came to be after I was trying to figure out how to use ingredients I already had in the house. With a package of tortellini, lots of cheese, a pound of ham, and some broccoli just waiting to be used, I decided to make this Cheesy Tortellini Bake with a super crunchy topping. It’s just perfect for a hearty, satisfying family-pleasing meal.
Just look at that crunchy topping! I used panko bread crumbs to get the extra crunch, combined with a little butter. It’s the perfect topping for this Cheesy Tortellini Bake!
Because I had ham and broccoli already on hand, that’s what I used, but feel free to leave those ingredients out altogether if you wish, or you could sub in some of your favorites; bacon, scallions, chicken, peas. So many options!
I used cheese tortellini but feel free to use whatever kind of tortellini you’d like. Mushroom tortellini is another yummy alternative.
The sauce comes together in just a few minutes, and because the tortellini literally only take a couple of minutes to cook, the hands-on time with this recipe is pretty minimal. May I suggest grating your own cheese? You will get the best melty, ooey gooey cheesy result if you shred your own cheese versus buying the pre-shredded cheese from the grocery store.
Is there anything not to love about cheesy tortellini with more cheese and a crunchy topping? I assure you, this is a meal the whole family will love! Enjoy!
And in case you have some leftover tortellini, this Tortellini Soup is to die for!
- 1 pound cheese tortellini, cooked according to package directions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used 1%)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt – plus additional to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper – plus additional to taste
- 2 1/4 cups shredded smoked gouda – divided
- 2 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese – divided
- 3 tablespoons melted butter for the crunchy topping
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs for the crunchy topping
- 1 pound ham, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 8-10 ounces of broccoli, cooked
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a large non-stick skillet.
- When the butter has melted, add in the flour and whisk really well. Allow this mixture to cook for a few minutes. It’ll be a pasty consistency.
- Slowly add in the heavy cream and whisk well.
- Gradually add in the milk, continuing to whisk really well to remove any clumps.
- Reduce the heat to low and begin to slow add in 2 cups of smoked gouda and eventually 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese.
- Stir in cooked ham and cooked broccoli. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked tortellini.
- Grease a large casserole dish ( I used my 9 x 13 inch casserole dish) and pour the tortellini and cheese mixture into the dish.
- In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons melted butter with 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of gouda and 1/4 cup of cheddar over the casserole.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, then broil for a few minutes until the panko bread crumb topping is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.