This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These cookies have always been my favorite Christmas cookie. Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Snowball Cookies- whatever you call them, they are so delicious!! They aren’t too sweet and they just melt in your mouth. I also love how easy they are. There are only a few ingredients needed and it’s all mixed quickly in one bowl. They don’t spread when they bake so you can fit a lot on one sheet tray. They can be in the oven in under 5 minutes and they all bake at once- so easy!!
The first year my husband and I were married I found out quickly that he hated nuts in baked goods. That meant I had to find a replacement for the nuts in these cookies and chocolate was the obvious solution. The mini chips are the perfect size because the cookies themselves are pretty small. The results are amazing and perfect for any chocolate lover or anyone with nut allergies.
After they are done baking, they are rolled in powdered sugar which is my favorite part. I like to roll them just a couple minutes after they come out of the oven, then again when they are totally cooled. The sugar will melt a little after the first roll, and the second roll with completely cover them.
These definitely need to be on your baking list this year. If you like the traditional nut version, then you will love these!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Powdered sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bow, combine butter, flour, and powdered sugar. Stir until well combined.
- Add in salt and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips and scoop into balls- about 1 tablespoon each.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes.
- Let cool for a couple minutes, then roll in powdered sugar.
- Let cool completely and roll in powdered sugar one more time.