This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Easy Instant Pot Cheddar Broccoli and Potato Soup is a classic family favorite soup! It is easy to make in the Instant Pot and takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
Cheddar Broccoli and Potato Soup is an easy crowd-pleasing meal in my family. Who would possibly complain about cheese, bacon, potatoes, and broccoli all served up in a creamy soup? Normally this soup requires several steps, maintenance, and almost an hour of cooking time. Not anymore when you make this soup in the Instant Pot!
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
There is something to be said about the convenience of the Instant Pot. I’m not quite willing to give up my slow cooker, but the Instant Pot is surely getting a lot more attention these days! Meals that normally taste better after cooking for several hours can easily be made in less than 30 minutes in the Instant Pot. This is so important when you are feeding your family on a busy and tight schedule. An Instant Pot is so versatile. You can make everything from soups to dessert, and breakfast to a variety of meat. EVERYTHING is so much faster in the Instant Pot!!
For this soup, you will need basic soup ingredients: garlic, butter, broccoli, potatoes, broth, half and half, and cheese. The bacon is optional; it really makes the soup taste like a loaded baked potato! Without the bacon, you can have a simple Meatless Monday meal. Other optional ingredients include sour cream, chives, or diced onion. Add in some crusty bread and a side salad for a complete dinner!
How to Make Cheddar Broccoli Soup in the Instant Pot
Here is a brief overview of how this cheddar broccoli soup comes together in the instant pot. For the full recipe including all ingredients and measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Preheat your instant pot. Then add the butter and crushed garlic and sauté until the garlic begins to brown, about a minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Add broccoli, potatoes, and broth. Season with extra salt and pepper. Secure the lid and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Steam release and cook the bacon. Use the natural release for 10 minutes. Cook your bacon in a skillet or in the microwave and set aside to cool.
- Add the half and half and cheese. Blend with an immersion blender or in batches in your large blender. If you want a thinner soup, add more broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish and enjoy! Serve hot with extra cheese, bacon, green onions, and chives as desired.
Yes, fresh or frozen broccoli can be used. If you use frozen broccoli, I recommend cooking the broccoli according to the package directions and adding it to the soup when you add the half and half and the cheese. This will prevent extra liquid in the soup.
Yes, this recipe does not contain any ingredients made with gluten. With that being said, always double check your ingredients when cooking for someone who can’t have gluten.
How to Serve
Serve this broccoli potato soup while it is hot. Top with extra cheese, bacon, chives, or sour cream. Be sure to taste the soup and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve with crusty bread or crackers and enjoy!
Storing and Reheating
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat only the portion to plan to eat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Remember, leftovers should only be reheated once.
This recipe is great for freezing and warming up for a quick and hearty meal! Allow the soup to cool and place it in a freezer safe container or bag (or multiple if you want to divide it into individual servings for lunches), leaving some room at the top for it to expand. Store in the freezer for up to three months. Allow to thaw before reheating.
Other Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
Looking for more irresistible Instant Pot recipes? Here are a few that you must try!
- Instant Pot Easy Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Apple Crisp
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili with Sweet Potatoes
- How To Make Spaghetti in the Instant Pot
I hope you enjoy this super easy recipe for Instant Pot Cheddar, Broccoli and Potato Soup. It is easy to make, delicious, and always a family favorite. Please let me know what you think of it by leaving a comment. I love hearing from you!
Instant Pot Cheddar Broccoli & Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium-sized broccoli head broken into large florets
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into small chunks
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth plus more if needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices cooked bacon optional
- chopped green onion or chives optional, for garnish
- Select the sauté function on the Instant Pot.
- Once hot, add butter, and crushed garlic. Sauté about one minute, or until garlic begins to brown.
- Add broccoli, potatoes, and broth. Season with extra salt and pepper. Secure the lid and select manual. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete, select cancel and use the natural release for 10 minutes. Remove any remaining steam.
- If using bacon, cook the bacon until desired crispiness. Set aside to cool.
- Add the half and half and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth, or blend in batches in a large blender. If you want a thinner soup, add more broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with remaining cheddar and bacon (if using).