This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pumpkin Roll is one of my favorite desserts during the fall months. I find myself making it at least once before Halloween and always for Thanksgiving! Sometimes this Pumpkin Roll even appears for Christmas too. With the soft and moist pumpkin layer and that irresistible cream cheese frosting, you cannot go wrong with serving family and friends this Pumpkin Roll any time of the year.
When you’re making a Pumpkin Roll, you will start out by making a pretty basic recipe for pumpkin cake. The key is to bake it in a jelly roll pan, which you might simply call a rimmed baking sheet. The size is important though. Make sure you’re using a 15 x 10 inch pan. This is the link to the jelly roll pan that I use. This cake requires less than 15 minutes to bake!
My favorite part about a Pumpkin Roll is always, always, always, the cream cheese frosting! It is the best part, isn’t it? The soft moist cake combined with that frosting is what makes a Pumpkin Roll hard to beat. Make sure that you are using softened cream cheese for the best result. I like to leave a package of cream cheese out for about an hour or two before I use it, that ways it mixes in with the other ingredients much easier.
Just look at this gorgeous cake! Ain’t she pretty? If you’re looking for another irresistible Pumpkin recipe, another hit is always this Pumpkin Layer Cake. Check it out! :)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- Powdered sugar
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan with non-stick spray OR lightly grease it. Then line the pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Grease the paper, then lightly dust it with flour and set aside.
- To prepare the cake mix, in a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice (you can also use ground cloves and ground nutmeg in place of pumpkin pie spice) and salt. Set aside.
- With your mixer, combine the eggs and sugar for a few minutes until well combined. Add in the pumpkin and mix.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, making sure not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake the cake for about 13-15 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when lightly touching the center.
- While the cake is baking, prepare a sheet of parchment paper by sprinkling powdered sugar over it. You can also use tinfoil if you do not have parchment paper.
- Immediately after the cake comes out of the oven, run a knife along the edges then flip the cake onto the prepared sheet of parchment paper. Remove the top layer of parchment paper that baked with the cake.
- Roll up the cake WITH the parchment paper. The cake is going to be hot, but the parchment paper will make it easy for you to handle.
- Transfer the cake to a wire cooling rack, seam-side down. Allow it to cool completely.
- To make the filling, use your mixer to beat the cream cheese for about 30 second, then add in the butter and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add in the powdered sugar and mix until it’s light and fluffy.
- Carefully unroll the cake and remove the parchment paper. Spread the filling over the cake. Re-roll the cake, without the parchment paper this time, then wrap the roll tightly with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Dust the Pumpkin Roll with powdered sugar before serving.
Recipe slightly adapted from
Very Best Baking