This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This ultra crumbly Crumb Coffee Cake recipe is buttery with cinnamon and loaded with crumbles! It’s everything that a crumb coffee cake should be!
I grew up eating Entemann’s Crumb Coffee Cake and those delicious little crumb muffins, you know the ones, right? Soft and exploding with those irresistible crumbles? It’s always been a favorite, but I wanted to try a recipe for homemade crumb coffee cake that would satisfy my craving for all things crumbly and delicious. This Crumb Coffee Cake has a ton of crumbles which is always the best part!
To make Crumb Coffee Cake
The full written recipe, including ingredients amounts can be found in the recipe card below. This is a brief overview.
- Preheat the oven and grease a baking pan.
- Make the coffee cake batter – it’s a thick batter that will need to be spread evenly in a 9 x 13 inch pan. The batter is divided in half with a brown sugar filling layer
- Make the cinnamon filling – a simple combination of cinnamon and brown sugar
- Make the topping – buttery crumbles is the best part! The crumb topping is made with flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and lots of butter.
- Assemble – pour half the batter into the cake pan, then add the cinnamon filling. Top with remaining batter then sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the batter.
To get the swirled look
Coffee cake looks exceptionally beautiful and delicious when there’s a cinnamon swirled throughout the batter. To achieve that look, use a knife and making swirling motions on top of the cake to gently swirl the batter and cinnamon filling.
Crumb Topping Ingredients
Arguably, the best part of this crumb coffee cake is the crumb topping. To make crumb topping for coffee cake, you’ll need:
- Butter – 16 tablespoons — it’s a lot but gives this coffee cake that incredible crumb topping! 16 tablespoons is the same as two standard sticks of butter.
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla – this adds a hint of warmth that is so delicious combined with the brown sugar and cinnamon.
Tips for Perfect Crumb Coffee Cake
- Don’t over-mix the batter
- Use real butter – no margarine or butter substitutes
- Use room temperature ingredients – butter and eggs should be at room temperature
This recipe calls for buttermilk. If you do not have buttermilk, you can easily make a buttermilk substitute by combining milk and vinegar. View my post on how to make buttermilk.
Crumb Coffee Cake Storage Tips
Store crumb coffee cake in an airtight container for up to three days.
As you can see, there’s a big thick layer of those delicious buttery crumbles on top that everyone just loves. Perfect alongside tea, or coffee, everybody will be asking for a second slice! If I’m entertaining with this recipe and making it for a breakfast or brunch, I like to make my Amish Breakfast Casserole to go with it to offer something sweet and something savory.
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment or tag me on social media. I love hearing from you! Enjoy!
Crumb Coffee Cake
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- 16 tbsp unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
- Add in butter, a few pieces at the time and mix until you are left with crumbles.
- Add in eggs, vanilla and buttermilk and beat until the mixture is combined, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- To make the filling: combine 1 cup light brown sugar with 1 and 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. The batter is going to be thick, so it will take a bit of effort to spread it. Sprinkle the filling on top of the batter.
- Pour remaining batter on top. Use a small knife to make swirls in the cake to give it a marbled look.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the cake has set.