This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Double Chocolate Pudding Cake made with a box of cake mix, pudding mix, chocolate chips, and sour cream is baked in a bundt pan and topped with chocolate glaze. The result is a moist, delicious cake!
There are few things better in life than a moist, flavorful slice of chocolate cake. In this recipe, the convenience of a box of chocolate cake mix meets the exceptional addition of pudding to create a dessert that’s both effortless and incredibly delicious!
The secret to moist chocolate cake
The magic behind this recipe is the combination of a box of cake mix with a package of pudding. In addition, this recipe includes sour cream that adds extra moisture to the cake. The combination of cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream along with an extra egg truly transform a box of cake mix into a delicious moist semi-homemade chocolate cake.
Chocolate Cake Mix with Pudding – The Process:
Here is a brief overview of how to make Double Chocolate Pudding Cake. The full written recipe including ingredient amounts is found below in the recipe card.
- Preheat your oven – and prepare a bundt pan with non-stick spray.
- Mix – combine the cake and pudding mixes in a large bowl then gradually incorporate the vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream, vanilla and water at medium speed.
- Add chocolate chips – fold in the chocolate chips which adds more delicious chocolate in each bite. Ghirardelli chocolate chips are my personal favorite!
- Make the glaze– when the cake is nearly done baking, make the glaze.
Chocolate Glaze for Chocolate Cake
While the chocolate cake is the star of the show, it is not complete without a chocolate glaze made with sweetened condensed milk.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips – do this in a small sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Simmer – on low until the chocolate is melted and the glaze is smooth.
- Pour – the glaze over the chocolate cake while it’s still warm.
To take the chocolate glaze to a whole other level, melt white chocolate chips and drizzle on top of the chocolate glaze.
Chocolate Cake Mix with Pudding Variations
With this recipe, you can personalize it by trying different pudding mixes. Vanilla pudding or even pistachio would is delicious.
Try different cake mix combinations as well like lemon or strawberry. The options and combinations are limitless!
Storing and Serving Chocolate Pudding Cake
To preserve the freshness of this incredibly moist and delicious chocolate cake, store leftovers in an airtight container.
Serve this chocolate cake at room temperature for the best taste and texture.
Your new go-to chocolate cake:
This doctored up box of cake mix with a box of pudding is the perfect way to achieve a moist, flavorful, delicious cake. It requires minimal ingredients, and the steps are easy and straightforward.
In other words, incorporating pudding and sour cream is the ultimate cake hack to create a moist flavorful cake that impresses every time!
What are you waiting for Grab a box of cake mix, and some pudding, gather the remaining ingredients and get ready to indulge in the best chocolate cake!
More chocolate recipes you’ll love:
Looking for more chocolate recipes? You’ve got to try our Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Mousse Filling!
Other must-make recipes include:
- Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
- Simple Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Frosting or
- Triple Chocolate Brownies
If you try this recipe for Double Chocolate Pudding Cake, and I hope you do, please leave a comment or tag me on social media. I love to hear from you! Enjoy!
Double Chocolate Pudding Cake
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix I recommend Betty Crocker
- 1 3.9 ounce package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 14 ounce package Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 350℉.
- Spray a bundt cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- With your mixer, combine Devil’s Food Cake Mix with pudding.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and beat for a few minutes.
- Mix in sour cream, vegetable oil, and water and beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in milk chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into greased bundt cake pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the cake is cooked through.
- Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes, then flip the cake onto a plate.
- In a small sauce pan, combine sweetened condensed milk, milk chocolate chips, and vanilla. Simmer on low until the chocolate is melted and the glaze is smooth.
- Pour glaze over the cake.
- Melt white chocolate chips according to package directions. Pour the melted mixture into a ziplock bag. Cut the tip and drizzle white chocolate all over the cake.