These Jumbo Snickerdoodle Cookies are a giant take on the classic cookie. They are soft, buttery, thick, and so delicious!
I had a request to make these cookies from a reader. My Jumbo Sugar Cookies and Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies have been a big hit and one lady suggested I try a Snickerdoodle version. I thought that was a great idea and made some that night. They turned out awesome and I’m so excited to share them with you!
A Snickerdoodle is very similar to a sugar cookie but made with cinnamon sugar- yum! One key ingredient is cream of tartar. I know it’s kind of a pain to have to buy a special ingredient just for one recipe, but it’s pretty important here. It gives snickerdoodles their classic flavor and texture- keeping them thick, pillowy and soft and without it they have a tendency to get crisp and flat.
They are super easy to make, mixed in one bowl and the dough doesn’t need to chill at all. Much like my other recipes, I use a measuring cup to portion the dough out and only 3 cookies fit on a cookie sheet at a time. They bake up so big and the centers will look a little underdone, but that is how you want them. They will set up as they cool. If you like them a little more crispy, bake for the longer recommended time.
You will absolutely love how delicious these cookies are! Perfect for holiday baking or giving as a gift!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
CINNAMON SUGAR INGREDIENTS
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl to make cinnamon sugar mixture for rolling. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar and stir until completely combined.
- Add in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, cream of tartar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon and mix until fully combined.
- Using 1/2 cup measuring cup, portion the dough into balls. It should make 6 even-size balls.
- Roll each ball of dough between your palm to smooth then roll it in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place 3 cookies on each cookie sheet, evenly spaced so they room to spread.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for 16-19 minutes. 16 minutes will result in chewy cookies and 19 will result in a little crisper cookie.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.