This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I am an absolute sucker when it comes to Mexican food. You name it, I love it whether it’s Cheesy Baked Oven Tacos, Skinny Creamy Taquitos, Steak Quesadillas, or my new favorite, these Crispy Baked Chicken Flautas stuffed with chicken and cheese filling!
As I was preparing this recipe, I was trying to determine the difference between a taquito and a flauta when I learned something new. Flautas are typically made with flour tortillas while taquitos are typically made with corn tortillas which technically means I named these Skinny Creamy Taquitos wrong. Oops!
Regardless of whether you call it a flauta or a taquito, all you need to know is that this crispy baked chicken flautas recipe is awesome! And because they are baked and not fried, you can feel a little less guilty eating them.
The chicken and cheese filling comes together pretty quickly and consists of pretty basic items. I used shredded rotisserie chicken from the grocery store for a short-cut, and included things like black beans, diced red bell pepper, corn, salsa, and for creaminess, a little sour cream. And of course there’s cheese, because I like things cheesy! I used monterrey jack cheese but you could use cheddar, colby jack, or whatever you have on hand.
Once the filling is made, you will place a heaping 1/4 of filling on each tortilla, roll it up tightly, and bake them until crispy and golden brown!
I like to serve these Baked Chicken Flautas with my favorite classic salsa recipe on the side, The Best Guacamole, and a little sour cream.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 ounce can corn, drained
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 of a small yellow onion, diced
- Salt, black pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa (here’s my recipe for Classic Salsa)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 12-14 Flour tortillas ( I used soft taco sized tortillas)
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add in diced red pepper and yellow onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with a bit of salt and black pepper.
- In a large bowl combine chicken, salsa, sour cream, cheese, black beans, corn and pepper/onion mixture.
- Spoon a heaping 1/4 cup of filling on each tortilla and roll it up tightly. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all of the filling is gone.
- To make the flautas extra crispy, spray the tops of them with non-stick cooking spray. If you don’t spray them, they’ll still crisp up, just not as evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are nice and crispy.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream on the side.