This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy creamy chicken spaghetti recipe is made with cream of mushroom soup combined with cream cheese for the ultimate family favorite comfort food!
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
This simple cheesy chicken spaghetti casserole is packed with flavor and has the best creamy sauce, thanks to cream cheese, cream of mushroom soup, and shredded cheese. Tender chicken, spaghetti, and Rotel all make this casserole an easy weeknight meal the whole family will love!
How to Make Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
Here is a brief overview of how this easy recipe for creamy chicken spaghetti comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the store.
- Cook the spaghetti noodles. Follow the directions on the package, then drain and set aside.
- Sauté the vegetables. Cook the onion and pepper until tender. Then add the rotel.
- Make the sauce. Stir in the cream of mushroom soup, cream cheese, chicken broth, milk, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Put it all together. Stir in the cooked spaghetti and shredded chicken. Then add the cheddar cheese.
- Bake it. Put the chicken spaghetti mixture into a prepared casserole dish and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with chopped green onions or chopped fresh parsley and enjoy!
Cooked Chicken For Casseroles
When a casserole calls for cooked chicken, you have a few options. A budget-friendly and convenient way is to buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it with two forks. You can also boil raw chicken breasts on the stovetop and shred them with two forks or in your stand mixer.
Cooking noodles for a casserole is a simple step, but a few tips are important to keep in mind to make it perfect every time. I always make this with spaghetti, but you could also use angel hair pasta, fettuccini, or linguini.
- Use plenty of water. Since pasta expands while it cooks, make sure to have plenty of water in your pot. Add a teaspoon or so of salt to the water to give it extra flavor.
- Make sure your water is really boiling. You are looking for large, roaring bubbles before adding your dry pasta.
- Set a timer. Follow the package directions and set a timer so you can drain the pasta as soon as it reaches al dente. Since the pasta will be baked in the oven, we don’t want it overcooked or it will be mushy.
Like with any classic casserole, a can of cream of mushroom soup keeps this baked chicken spaghetti casserole creamy. While you can buy a can of cream soup from the store, it is also super easy to make your own. Perfect for any recipe that calls for cream soup, this substitute comes together with simple ingredients and 10 minutes of your time.
Cream Soup Substitute
Shredding Cheese From a Block
For any recipe that calls for shredded cheese, I highly recommend buying a block of cheese and using a cheese grater to shred it yourself. It will melt and taste so much better than the pre-shredded stuff and is worth a few extra minutes of your time. Pre-shredded cheese is covered in preservatives that prevent it from clumping together in the bag, which also affects its melting.
To make this creamy baked spaghetti ahead of time, prepare it up to the point of putting it in the oven. Cover tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to a day. When you are ready to bake it, remove the foil or plastic wrap and bake according to the recipe card, potentially adding 5-10 extra minutes to the baking time.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Store any leftover creamy chicken spaghetti in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat only the portion you plan to eat in the microwave, stirring halfway through.
Other Easy Dinner Recipes
If you make this easy chicken spaghetti recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave a comment and let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.
Easy Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
- 8 oz spaghetti noodles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 10 oz Rotel drained
- 1 10oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions to al dente, drain, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a 9×13 inch casserole dish by spraying it with non-stick spray.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and diced red bell peppers and sauté until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in 1 can Rotel (drained) and stir to combine.
- To the pan, stir in cream of mushroom soup, cream cheese, chicken broth, milk, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Stir in cooked spaghetti noodles and cooked shredded chicken. Then stir in cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- Pour the chicken spaghetti mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped green onions or chopped fresh parsley.