This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Spicy Tortellini Soup with Sausage is made with four cheese tortellini, spicy Italian Sausage, kale, and parmesan cheese. This soup is creamy, spicy and so delicious! It’s the perfect way to use fresh or frozen cheese tortellini!
Tortellini is a versatile ingredient that cooks quickly and lends itself well to so many recipes. I’ve got a few favorite ways to use tortellini, but my latest favorite is in this Spicy Tortellini Soup with Spicy Italian Sausage. (For a non-spicy variation, try out our more traditional, non-spicy Tortellini Soup)
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
Creamy Tortellini Soup Ingredients
These delicious and simple ingredients combine to create a spicy and creamy soup that will be your new favorite craving. It will warm you up from the inside out and have everyone asking for the recipe!
- Hot Italian sausage: If you want to make a sausage tortellini soup that isn’t as spicy, you can use regular Italian sausage. For a leaner option, use Italian turkey sausage. I would not recommend using regular ground beef or turkey as it won’t have the flavor we want in this reicpe.
- Vegetables: Onion, carrots, celery, garlic, kale, and diced tomatoes all add flavor and substance to this soup.
- Chicken broth: The base of the soup. You could also use vegetable broth.
- Heavy cream: What makes the soup creamy.
- Seasonings: Red pepper flakes add some heat and Italian seasoning adds flavor to the soup.
- Cheese tortellini: Fresh or frozen cheese tortellini can be used.
- Parmesan cheese: Contributes to the creaminess of the soup and ties it all together.
How to Make Spicy Tortellini Soup with Sausage
Here is a brief overview of how to make tortellini soup with sausage. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Cook the sausage. Sauté the red pepper flakes over medium heat and add the sausage. When it is cooked through, take it out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the other vegetables. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and celery to the pan the sausage was cooked in and continue sautéing until the veggies are tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and diced tomatoes. If you are using tomato paste, add that as well. Then add in Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini. When the soup is boiling, add in the tortellini and cook according to package directions.
- Add the final ingredients. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the heavy cream and finely grated parmesan cheese. Stir in chopped kale and allow to simmer a few minutes longer.
- Serve. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve with additional fresh parmesan cheese for garnish.
Spicy Tortellini Soup Variations
- Use ground turkey for a leaner option. It won’t be as spicy, but Italian turkey would also work in this recipe if you want something more lean or your family doesn’t eat pork.
- Add more veggies: This is a great recipe to add more or change out the vegetables. Mushrooms, zucchini, or bell peppers would make great additions. If you don’t like kale, use spinach for a more mild option.
- Make it in your slow cooker: You can also make this sausage tortellini soup in the slow cooker. Cook the sausage and add all of the ingredients except the tortellini to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 1/2 hours and then add the tortellini and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. Reheat only the portion you plan to eat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through, stirring at least once. Remember that leftovers should only be reheated once, so only reheat what you plan to eat. Always use your best judgment with leftovers.
Freezing Tortellini Soup
Make a double or triple batch of this soup to freeze and enjoy later. Follow these simple steps and tips for freezing your spicy tortellini soup.
- Once you have made your soup, allow it to cool to room temperature. This helps prevent condensation inside the containers.
- Choose the Right Container: Use airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags to store the soup. Make sure to leave some space at the top of the container or bag to allow for expansion as the soup freezes.
- Portion Control: Consider portioning the soup into smaller containers or bags if you plan to reheat it in smaller servings. This way, you can thaw and reheat only what you need.
- Label and Date: Label the containers or bags with the date of freezing and the contents. This helps you keep track of how long the soup has been in the freezer.
- Remove Air: If using freezer bags, try to remove as much air as possible before sealing them to minimize freezer burn.
- Freeze Quickly: Place the containers or bags of tortellini soup in the freezer. It’s best to freeze them as quickly as possible to maintain the soup’s quality. Don’t stack hot containers on top of each other; give them some space to cool in the freezer.
When you’re ready to enjoy the frozen tortellini soup, transfer it to the refrigerator and allow it to thaw overnight. This slow thawing method helps maintain the soup’s texture and flavor. You can reheat the thawed tortellini soup on the stovetop or in the microwave until it reaches your desired temperature.
Yes! I share my steps above for freezing soup.
No. If you want to make a gluten free tortellini soup, I recommend using a gluten free cheese tortellini. Always double check your ingredients when cooking for someone who cannot have gluten.
What To Serve With Tortellini
This soup is a full meal in itself, but is delicious with warm bread and a crunchy salad.
Other Soup Recipes
If you are all about delicious and hearty soup recipes, try one of my other cozy favorites:
If you make this spicy tortellini soup with sausage recipe or any of my other recipes, please let me know what you think by leaving a comment. I love hearing from you!
Spicy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flake
- 1 lb hot Italian Sausage
- 1 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup celery finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp double concentrated tomato paste optional
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 10 oz cheese tortellini fresh or frozen
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the red pepper flake and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add in the hot Italian Sausage and cook through. Remove Italian Sausage and set aside.
- Add in the chopped onion, carrots, and celery and continue sautéing until the veggies are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 30 to 60 seconds.
- *Optional – stir in 1 tablespoon double concentrated tomato paste.
- Pour in the chicken broth and diced tomatoes.
- Add in Italian Seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
- When the soup is boiling, add in the tortellini and cook according to package directions (typically 3-7 minutes, depending on whether or not the tortellini is fresh or frozen).
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the heavy cream and finely grated parmesan cheese.
- Stir in chopped kale.
- Allow the soup to simmer for a few minutes longer.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with additional fresh parmesan cheese for garnish.