This Cucumber Sandwich Recipe is made with cream cheese and seasonings on cocktail rye bread with thinly sliced cucumber. The perfect appetizer for parties and showers – cucumber sandwiches are easy to make and always a favorite!
Cucumber Sandwiches are one of the most simple, yet delightfully satisfying appetizers that I always look forward to making for parties and baby or wedding showers. My recipe to make cucumber sandwiches includes just a few ingredients and comes together quickly which is why they are one of my go-to recipes, especially in the summer when garden fresh cucumbers are available.The open-faced sandwich reminds me of sandwiches you might have at tea time!
How to make Cucumber Sandwiches
The ingredient list is short! To make Cucumber Sandwiches as an appetizer, you’ll need 1 cucumber, thinly sliced. I like to use an English cucumber. For the spread, you’ll need an 8 ounce package of whipped cream cheese, dried parsley, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and dried dill. And lastly, you’ll need a pound of cocktail rye bread. This is often found in the deli section of your grocery store, or in the bread aisle.
While some recipes for cucumber sandwiches call for a packet of Italian dressing seasoning, or even ranch dressing seasoning, I like to season the whipped cream cheese myself with dried parsley, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little dill.
Cucumber Sandwich Tips and Tricks
One tip I have learned over the years is that you will want to pat the cucumber slices with paper towels to absorb some of the moisture. ESPECIALLY if you are making them ahead of time for a party. Cucumbers hold a lot of moisture which can result in soggy bread. After slicing your cucumbers, place them in a colander, then allow them to sit for a bit so any excess moisture can drain. Right before placing the cucumbers on top of each sandwich, blot them with paper towels to absorb any extra liquid that remains.
You can make these cucumber sandwich appetizers one day in advance, but they are best made just 1-3 hours before you are going to serve them. Cucumber Sandwiches are the perfect appetizer for parties and showers, enjoy!
Looking for more cucumber recipes? This Creamy Cucumber Salad is SO delicious and refreshing!
- 8 ounce package whipped cream cheese
- 1 pound cocktail rye bread
- 1 english cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried dill
- In a large bowl, use a spoon to combine the whipped cream cheese with 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/8 teaspoon dried dill.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and pat the slices dry with paper towels to prevent the bread from getting mushy from the moisture in the cucumbers.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture on each piece of bread, then arrange 1-2 cucumber slices on top.
- These are best served immediately. If you are making them ahead of time, be sure to take the time to remove any excess liquid from the cucumbers so that you are not left with soggy cucumber sandwiches.