This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf is a flavorful classic meatloaf recipe that the whole family will love. Your new favorite meatloaf recipe uses simple ingredients and comes together quickly!
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
A twist on my traditional meatloaf, this recipe uses an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix as the not-so-secret ingredient to add a delicious wonderful onion flavor. Meatloaf is a classic for a reason and this recipe is easy to make and sure to be loved by even your picky eaters. It is delicious as a main dish or as meatloaf sandwiches!
How to Make Meatloaf
Here is a brief overview of how this easy meatloaf recipe comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Combine meatloaf ingredients. Add your raw ground beef, dry onion soup mix, bread crumbs, eggs, milk, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce to a bowl and mix well. This is easy to do with clean hands.
- Form into a loaf. Transfer the meat mixture to a rimmed baking sheet or baking dish and use clean hands to form into a loaf shape. Don’t pack it too much, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Bake the meatloaf. Put the meatloaf into the hot oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Make the sauce. While the meatloaf bakes, whisk together the brown sugar, ketchup, and mustard. After it has baked for 40 minutes, spoon the mixture over the meatloaf and return to the oven.
- Finish baking the meatloaf. Bake the meatloaf for another 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Enjoy!
The sauce for meatloaf in this recipe is super simple, yet adds tons of flavor. Made with ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar, it is the best combination of tangy and sweet. Instead of ketchup, BBQ sauce can also be used.
Tips and Tricks
- Use ground turkey. If you want to make a leaner meatloaf or prefer the flavor of ground turkey, you can use that instead of ground beef here.
- Use a meat thermometer. While I give a time frame for cooking your meatloaf, the best way to make sure the meatloaf is fully cooked without being overdone is to use an instant-read meat thermometer. Many thermometers can be left in the oven while your dish cooks so you know exactly when it reaches 160F and is ready to take out.
- Let the meatloaf rest. Once you pull the meatloaf out of the oven, let it rest on the counter for a few minutes. This lets the juices and flavors settle before cutting into it.
No, it contains breadcrumbs.
Yes! It can be frozen for up to three months. I share how to freeze meatloaf below, with methods before you bake it and after.
Yes! Read my steps below for making meatloaf ahead of time.
This is a great recipe to make ahead of time! Simply follow the recipe up to the point of forming the mixture into a loaf and putting it in a casserole dish, not adding the sauce. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for up to a day. If you want to make the meatloaf sauce ahead of time, store it in a separate container in the refrigerator. When you are ready to bake it, remove the foil or plastic wrap and bake in your hot oven. Add the sauce after 40 minutes of baking. You may need an extra 5-10 minutes of baking team since it will be coming straight from the fridge, but use an instant-read meat thermometer to know when the meatloaf reaches 160 degrees.
This easy meatloaf recipe can be frozen before baking or once it is baked. To freeze before baking, form the mixture into a loaf, wrap it tightly with foil, and put it in a freezer-safe bag. Store in the freezer for up to three months.
You can also freeze meatloaf as a whole or as individual slices of meatloaf after baking. Let it cool completely and transfer to a freezer-safe container or bag. If you want to freeze in slices, line the slices on a baking sheet and place in the freezer for an hour to flash-freeze the slices and prevent them from sticking together. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag and store in the freezer for up to three months.
When ready to eat frozen meatloaf, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then, bake according to the recipe card (if the meatloaf hasn’t been cooked yet), or if you froze cooked meatloaf, add the sauce and bake until it is heated through.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Store any leftover meatloaf in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave or oven until heated through. Leftover meatloaf is also delicious on a sandwich!
What to Serve With Meatloaf
Round out this classic comfort food with these delicious side dishes!
- The Best Mashed Potatoes or Smashed Potatoes with Cheese
- Green Beans or Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Creamy Corn Casserole
If you make this Lipton onion soup meatloaf recipe or any of my other recipes, please let me know by leaving a comment. I love hearing from you!
Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 3/4 cup Italian Breadcrumbs or plain breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- ½ cup ketchup or BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Meatloaf Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons mustard
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- In a bowl combine ground beef, soup mix, breadcrumbs eggs, milk, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Prepare a rimmed baking sheet or a 9×13 casserole dish by lining it with parchment paper.
- Pour the meat mixture onto the prepared pan and use your hands to shape it into a loaf.
- Bake for 40 minutes. While the meatloaf bakes, prepare the sauce.
- In a small bowl combine ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. After the meatloaf has cooked for 40 minutes, spoon the sauce over the meatloaf and bake for 20 additional minutes or until the meatloaf reaches an internal temp of 160℉
- Remove from oven and allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving.