Baked buffalo wings are the best snack ever! The wings are baked until super crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside – they’re just as nice as fried wings. They’re then tossed in a rich hot sauce and served with a classic ranch dipping sauce. Yum!
Do you like chicken wings? I LOVE them so much and I would never get tired of them, even if I ate them every day. Although I enjoy all kinds of wings, the classic buffalo is one of my favorite types and I often find myself craving them.
It probably sounds like a lot of trouble to make buffalo wings at home. Crispy wings are a must, but deep frying is such a chore! Today I want to introduce the perfect solution, one I learned from RecipeTin Eats. By using the recipe below, you can skip the tons of oil required for deep fried wings and leave the chicken in the oven without supervision. It’s almost magical that these baked wings have truly crispy skin and a tender texture.
The secret is the baking powder. Be careful, though – do not use baking soda! The baking powder will create nice blisters on the chicken skin, just as if it was fried. The other trick is to bake the wings at low temperature first, so the fat in the chicken skin will be rendered and drained without overcooking the meat. The wings are then moved to the top rack of the oven and baked at high heat until the skin gets crispy.
Don’t want to serve the wings buffalo style? No problem! You can serve them with just the ranch dressing and they will still taste like heaven. And of course, you can serve them whatever other dipping sauce you like.
Ready to eat these addictively good crispy wings? Let’s start cooking!
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- Oil spray
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
BUFFALO SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
RANCH DIPPING SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk (or almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Place one oven rack in the lowest position and one in the highest. Spray a thin layer of oil onto a rack on a baking tray.
- Dry chicken wings thoroughly with paper towels. Transfer to a large Ziplock bag.
- Add baking powder and salt. Seal the bag. Shake the bag until the wings are coated evenly.
- Arrange chicken wings on the baking rack without overlapping them, skin side up.
- Bake on the low-positioned oven rack for 3o minutes.
- Move the wings to the top rack and turn heat to 425 degrees F. Bake for another 40 to 50 minutes, until the surface turns dark golden and crispy. Rotate the baking tray once during the baking.
- While baking the chicken, mix all the ingredients for the buffalo sauce, and mix all the ingredients for the dipping sauce.
- When the wings are cooked and you’re ready to serve them, transfer wings to a large bowl and add the buffalo sauce. Toss until the wings are evenly coated.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce.