This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This 4 ingredient Instant Pot Chicken Taco recipe makes taco night a quick and easy win! This recipe can be made with fresh or frozen chicken breasts.
I wake up most mornings dreaming of having tacos for dinner. It’s true. And I have no shame about it. Miles always approves of taco night too which I consider a win, and it’s an even bigger win when the recipe is easy to make and so flavorful like this Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tacos recipe is.
Let’s make some tacos together, shall we?
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Ingredients
Four ingredients is all that separates you from amazing, tender chicken taco meat.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – the star of the show. You could also substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Chicken Broth – any time you are making a recipe in the Instant Pot, you need at least ½ cup of liquid. Liquid is required because the Instant Pot relies on steam and pressure to cook the food quickly. Without liquid, the Instant Pot cannot pressurize.
- Salsa – choose your favorite store-bought salsa or make your own Fresh Homemade Salsa. I recommend a chunky variety of salsa. Choose hot salsa or mild salsa, whatever you’re in the mood for!
- Taco Seasoning – whatever taco seasoning you and your family enjoy will work here. You will need 1 packet, or about 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning. Here’s our homemade taco season recipe.
Making Shredded Chicken Taco Filling in the Instant Pot …
Shredded chicken taco filling takes minimal effort with the help of the Instant Pot. The beauty of this recipe is that it can be made with fresh OR frozen chicken breasts. This is a life saver if you are like me and sometimes forget to pull the frozen chicken out of the freezer with adequate time to thaw.
- Place the chicken in the Instant Pot – arrange the chicken in a single layer on the bottom of the Instant Pot pot.
- Season – sprinkle taco seasoning over the chicken breasts then spoon salsa over the top of the chicken.
- Add liquid – you will need about 1 cup of chicken broth or chicken stock. Pour it into the bottom of the pot.
- Pressure cook – cooking time will vary depending on whether you are using fresh or frozen chicken breasts. For fresh chicken breasts, cook for 10 minutes followed by naturally releasing the pressure for 5-10 minutes. For frozen chicken breasts, cook for 15 minutes followed by naturally releasing the pressure for 5-10 minutes.
- Shred – use two forks or a hand mixer to shred the chicken. Stir up the meat mixture with the liquid remaining in the Instant Pot.
- Warm tortillas – soft flour tortillas, corn tortillas, or hard shell tacos – whatever you prefer! I recommend using a slotted spoon to scoop the chicken mixture onto each taco. This will help prevent the tacos from becoming soggy from any excess liquid from the taco meat mixture. Here’s our guide for how to heat taco shells in the air fryer!
- Add toppings – add all of your favorite taco toppings and serve!
Taco Topping Ideas:
Half of the reason that Taco Tuesday is my favorite night of the week is because I love all of the taco toppings. Here are some suggestions:
- black beans
- sliced red onions
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- The Best Guacamole
- Quesadilla Sauce – this is my recipe for homemade quesadilla sauce and it is SO good on tacos!
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Queso Blanco or Cottage Cheese Queso
Use Fresh or Frozen Chicken Breasts
This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos can be made with fresh or frozen chicken breasts. Cooking time does vary, and is noted in the recipe card below.
Make it your own
Tacos is not the only way that you can use this shredded chicken taco meat. Make it your own! Try using this recipe for taco salads, or even burrito bowls would be delicious! Use brown rice or white rice for the base of the bowl, top with meat, and then any of your favorite toppings.
More Instant Pot Recipes..
Looking for more quick and easy Instant Pot recipes? Here are a few recipes you’ve gotta try!
- Instant Pot Easy Mac N Cheese
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- How to Make Spaghetti in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Cheddar Broccoli and Potato Soup
If you try this easy for Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tacos (and I hope that you do! 😃), please leave a comment or tag me on social media and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 1 ½ -2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning store-bought or 3 tablespoons homemade
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1 packet taco seasoning or 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning.
- Spoon ½ cup of salsa over the chicken breasts.
- Pour 1 cup of chicken broth in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve to sealing, then cook on high pressure for 10 minutes for fresh chicken breasts and 15 minutes for frozen chicken breasts.
- Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 5-10 minutes, then manually release any pressure that remains.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken, then stir to combine the chicken with the salsa/broth mixture.
- Warm tortillas, then use a slotted spoon to spoon the chicken on each taco.
- Add any additional taco toppings and enjoy!