This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Garlic Roasted Potatoes and Carrots are so easy and delicious – just pop them in the oven to roast and you’ve got the perfect roasted potato side dish to go along with beef, chicken, and more!
I’ve been working on a garlic roasted potato and carrot dinner side for a while now and am happy to have finally created the winning recipe. The problem I’ve found with so many roasted potato sides is that the potatoes tend to dry out too much before cooking through or aren’t flavorful enough. Neither of which is what you want.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
To make this recipe perfect, I chose to use a roasted potato medley with baby potatoes so they have less of a chance of drying out. I also use baby carrots, rather than sliced, larger carrots because it just feels right to keep all the babies together AND you can skip peeling and and chopping them which cuts back on prep time.
I also wanted to make sure the potatoes and carrots were well-seasoned, so I generously season with salt and pepper, and also add in the fresh garlic and minced fresh thyme. After roasting in the oven, the flavor combination is amazing, especially considering how darn simple it is to put together.
How to Make Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
Here is a brief overview of how this garlic roasted potatoes and carrots recipe comes together. For the full recipe including all measurements, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Prepare the potatoes and carrots. Thoroughly wash your carrots and potatoes to remove any dirt and debris. If you use baby potatoes and baby carrots, there is no need to peel or chop them.
- Season the vegetables. Combine the potatoes and carrots with olive oil and seasonings and toss to combine. Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe skillet or a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake the veggies. Bake until the potatoes and carrots are tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes, stirring the mixture halfway through.
Tips and Tricks
- Try to use potatoes that are similar in size so they will be done roasting at the same time. Fortunately, this is easy to do with baby carrots and baby potatoes.
- I make this reicpe using an oven-safe skillet that can transfer into the oven, but you could also use a casserole dish or a baking sheet lined with foil. Just be sure to grease it well with the oil so the vegetables don’t stick to the bottom.
- Feel free to add additional fresh herbs that roast well and give off a delicious aroma and flavor, like rosemary.
Yes! Once you combine your veggies with the olive oil and seasonings, put them in the basket of a preheated air fryer and roast until tender, shaking them up occasionally.
In this recipe, it isn’t necessary to boil the potatoes first. Becuase of their size and texture, they will cook fully in the oven.
What to Serve with Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
This healthy side goes very well with a simple steak, and can also be enjoyed next to seared lamb, chicken, or fish. Here are a few ideas to round out the meal:
- Pan-Seared Thyme Lamb Steaks
- Air Fryer Steak Bites with Garlic Butter
- 8 Minute Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Store any leftover potatoes and carrots in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat them in the microwave or air fryer. Remember to not reheat leftovers more than once.
Other Roasted Vegetable Recipes
Roasted veggies are always an excellent side choice to go along with a variety of main dish entrees. Two other favorite roasted veggie options include this recipe for Easy Oven Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and this recipe for Oven Roasted Baby Carrots. Not only are roasted vegetables easy to make with minimal prep time, they are delicious and something you can feel good about serving your family.
If you make this garlic roasted potatoes and carrots recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave a comment and let me know what you think.
Garlic Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- 1 lb small potato medley can substitute with baby red potatoes
- 1/2 lb baby carrots whole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme minced
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir to mix well.